The Internet is a scary place for kids and a constant worry for their parents. Inappropriate content, predators, and malware lurk around every corner. It is critical that we teach our kids how to use the Internet safely as well as equip our computers with necessary safeguards. First we will cover some foundational security information, then we will delve into tools and settings to help secure the Internet for kids.
Consumers Union found that households containing people under 18 had a larger propensity to being infected with malware. The following situations can easily occur:
- A child might post on Facebook that the family is going on vacation
- Children download apps without understanding the hazards or reading the reviews
- Younger kids may click on links within email, without thinking about the risks
- Not downloading copyrighted material needs to be taught to minors
- Popup warnings from security software are usually ignored
Educating Your Kids
The most important element in creating a safe place for your kids to use the Internet is Education. No piece of software or hardware can replace teaching your kids right from wrong, and candidly discussing all the bad topics that can be found on the Internet.
Some topics parents should cover:
- Do not reveal your passwords
- Use social networking safely
- Do not reveal too much personal information
- Beware of online fraud